The Grand Ole Opry paid homage to icon Ray Charles in October 2018 with a special showcase that was hosted by Darius Rucker and featured performances by Darius, Cam, Brett Eldredge, Ronnie Milsap, Lukas Nelson, LeAnn Rimes, Allen Stone, Travis Tritt, Charlie Wilson, Leela James, Trisha Yearwood, Jessie Key, Chris Young and Boyz II Men.
The night’s performances were filmed for a PBS television special, An Opry Salute to Ray Charles, that will premiere on Nashville Public Television on Aug. 15 at 8 p.m. CT, in advance of national syndication on public TV stations nationwide beginning on Sept. 5.
The 90-minute TV special also features behind-the-scenes footage, a visit to the Ray Charles Library and iconic footage courtesy of the Ray Charles Foundation.
“When you think of musical legends, you think of Ray Charles,” says Darius. “To host this great event celebrating his legacy at the Opry makes it even more special. Being asked to join the Opry six years ago was one of the greatest highlights of my career and it’s an honor any time I get to step onto that stage, especially for a night like this.”
- Boyz II Men and Chris Youg: “Your Love So Doggone Good”
- Travis Tritt: “I Am Moving On”
- Brett Eldredge: “That Lucky Old Sun”
- LeAnn Rimes: “Fever”
- Charlie Wilson: “Unchain My Heart”
- Darius Rucker: “Don’t Change On Me”
- Boyz II Men: “Georgia On My Mind”
- Trisha Yearwood: “You Don’t Know Me”
- Ronnie Milsap and Jessie Key: “You Are my Sunshine”
- Leela James and Cam: “Don’t Tell Me Your Troubles”
- Lukas Nelson: “Seven Spanish Angels”
- Chris Young: “I Can’t Stop Loving You”
- Allen Stone and Cam: “Here We Go Again”
- Charlie Wilson and LeAnn Rimes:“Crying Time”
- Everyone: “America the Beautiful”
photo by Frederick Breedon IV/Getty Images